Thursday, July 23, 2009

Babies Don't Keep

3 months old

5 months old

7 months (Adoption day)

8 months




9 months



10 months

11 months


12 months



Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

2 comments:

Jules and Danny said...

They don't keep. But, boy oh boy are they adorable and getting cuter every day!
jules

B said...

Hey Vanh, Benjaminh here. My mom found the Beech Nut stuff on line at lets-grow.ca

The company says we will find the yummy animal crackers and yogurt snacks at shoppers drugmart but they don't have them at a shoppers near me. Mama is going to keep looking or else she is going to have to stop eating my crackers with her tea.

Sorry I missed your pool party. Mama is trying to plan an August retreat to Ottawa so I'll send another note if dates get firmed up.

Ben