Thursday, January 29, 2009

Help Wanted

My sister has booked a trip down south from March 2 to 16. It was a free hotel, a seat sale... she just couldn't say no. When would she get the chance again? It's so hard to get time off work. And with the weather like it is in Ottawa... good for her, I say.

Before I continue, I have to explain about our dog, Shadow. At least, I have to explain for those of you who have not been waiting 7 years for a baby and have tried to meet their parenting needs with a puppy... He is not just a dog. He is a precious, wonderful, loved and adored, full-of-treats, sleeps on the pillow member of the family, and has been from day one. It was a serious concern as to who he could stay with while we were in Vietnam. The idea that he would be with his Aunti Steffi, whom he loves to distraction, was very comforting.

So now we need a dog sitter - but not just any dog sitter. You must be flexible and available between February 15 and the end of March. You must love dogs beyond all reason and consider it an honour and a privilege to have our little Shadow dog in your home. You must be willing to spoil him rotten and let him sleep on your pillow. It return he will not shed, nor will he have accidents in the house. He is a good dog.

It's strange how much something like this can be - such a small thing, really, but it was just one small thing we didn't have to worry about. I remember reading on other blogs about how upsetting it was when the people you were relying on became unavailable, through no fault of their own (changes to travel dates, etc.), and thinking that really you have to right to expect everyone around you to put their lives into some sort of spider-webby suspended time-warp while you wait for that last piece of paper or whatever. But now that I'm in it, I realize how much I need the company. And I'm so thankful for the angels who have climbed in with me!

4 comments:

B said...

I vote for travel and be back before March 2nd...

by the way, baby jetlag sucks lemons.

Jules and Danny said...

I think you're going to be fine.

As a back up, we'd love an extra dog here with us. Particularly one that doesn't shed... our dogs are definitely in the same realm as your beloved Shadow.

If you're looking for someone in Ottawa, I can't help you there!

Jules

Samantha said...

Update:
We now have a team of 3 loving family members (and their families) looking out for Shadow - he is going to be spoiled even more rotten - and we couldn't be happier!

Samantha said...

My wonderful sister is one of those 3 family members, and she is looking after Shadow until a few days before we return! Love you Auntie Steffie!