Saturday, January 3, 2009

Confessions

I've always been an Internet junkie, so I was familiar with the world of adoption blogs right from the start, but I have to confess I didn't really get it. I wanted to be one of those people who is able to document their thoughts eloquently enough for the world to read but (a)I was suspicious that my thoughts might be lacking in substance, let alone eloquence and (b)I'm, ummm, well, I'm lazy.

And so it begins. When you put yourself out there for anyone to read, specifically anyone involved with adoption, you really want to present yourself at your best. You want to show that you are loving, caring, intelligent, flexible, patient, kind, spiritual, relaxed, dedicated, able to deal effectively with stress, thankful, happy, gracious, and empathetic - all those wonderful adjectives your references used during your home-study. You do not want to be lazy.

I have to be honest - I am not feeling remotely patient or gracious lately. If I consciously tell myself to relax I can feel a lessening of the tension that is always with me, but the beginnings of physical symptoms of stress belay my belief that I am dealing with it. (I remember reading this in "The Gift of Waiting" - Link List: "And even during periods when we think we are not concerning ourselves with the waiting, the heartburn, psoriasis, colitis, hives and constant fatigue give us away. Our bodies shout the longing of our souls." and thinking, "Ha! I would never be that weak" Ha indeed. Joke's on me now.)

I had also envisioned myself as being a lot more excited and happy and a lot less whiny and selfish, during the waiting to travel period at least. I really can be a patient person, you know. I was fine during the wait for referral - a little anxious about getting older myself, but completely comforted by the idea that everything happens when it should for a reason. Even up through the first few weeks after referral, I remember having thoughts like, "If our paperwork is late getting to the agency that's probably fate helping it to arrive in Vietnam on just the right day to make things go faster in the long run." Where IS that person? I could use her back about now.

How do I feel? Well, I feel like any mother would who had her babies and then was given photos of them and told they would be in an orphanage on the other side of the world for a few months, not sure how long, no you can't visit. Please don't tell me this is not the same thing because I knew going in what the process would be. Would it be easier if you knew beforehand that you wouldn't get your babies at birth? Please don't tell me this is like being pregnant. My babies are born and getting older. I understand what you are saying - that is how I thought it would be; maybe even that's how it is for some people. I even understand if you think I am nuts - I would too, if it weren't for all the other blogs I've read that echo my heart.

Why do I have to confess this all here here? Because it is only because of other women who have been brave enough to do this before me that I know I am okay.

And because above all, I am hopeful. And right now that is all I have to be.

5 comments:

Leslie & Shaune said...

samantha, all you are feeling is so normal - and you are right.
the wait must be so hard. i am not there yet but you love children that you can not physically touch, soothe, love yet.
i hope you can travel very soon.

Leslie & Shaune said...

i meant 'love on'. i know you must love them with every fiber.

Rebecca E M Charron said...

Hiya Sam, first off I'm so sorry we missed you. I have made Luc promise that a you an Woody visit will occur at the BEGINNING of our next trip, not at the end. I'm tired of missing you.

Second off, From what I have been reading on here you are handling this with incredible grace. There is no comparison with being pregnant, I have my baby with me even though I won't get to meet him/her for another 8 or so months. I am not at the whim of anyone else when it comes to my baby. So just smack anyone up side the head that says it's 'just like pregnancy'.

And don't get down on yourself for not feeling patient or gracious, who the hell says you have to?! You're feeling exactly what you need to be feeling and there is not a damn thing wrong with that.

*hugs*
Keep posting, I love to keep up to date with you.

Jules and Danny said...

Hey Samantha,

I think everyone experiences the wait after referral differently. Some find such solace in seeing their baby's face daily, finally knowing... some ache incessantly waiting to hold the child of the picture they love so dearly.
And people experience those months of pregnancy so differently too... so comparing the waiting to pregnancy also leaves a lot of room for drastically different experiences.

What may not feel like graceful waiting at times is so acceptable... you can only feel the way you do and you can't change that.

In writing your blog, you get to share and document your feelings. Who knows how well you will remember those feelings you had while waiting once you and hubby are holding those gorgeous little babies in your arms?

What a precious gift this will be to your children, when you tell them the story of how you waited to make them part of your forever family.

Jules

Sandra said...

First Congrats, So happy you got your referral. Funny that a year and a half ago we were sitting in a classroom at Childrensbridge and learning about adoption. Time flies. Having the referral is great but I did feel tortured. That kid belongs in your arms. Prepare your first meeting with your boys. What are you going to whisper to them when you meet them...