Sunday, January 11, 2009

Packing List

I keep coming home from shopping with armfuls of shiny colourful noise, adorable soft piles of cuddly, and a vague feeling that there is something else babies need besides toys and sleepers.

A list is what we need. Thank you to MJ from our Yahoo group - and to everyone else who is going to let me know what we don't need and what we've forgotten. Please!

For twins:
Clothing
7 onesies (medium)
2 fleece sleepers with feet
2 fleece sleepers with feet and hoods
2 fleece sleepers with hoods and adjustable feet
2 fleece sleepers without feet
2 cotton knit sleepers without feet
2 baby shirts
2 pairs pants
2 overalls
10 pairs of socks
2 pairs of mittens (for scabies treatment)
6 hats
2 pairs warm booties
4 bundle bags (2 without sleeves)
package little swimmers
2 bibs
2 bath wraps
2 homemade blankets
2 light fleece blankets
2 warm/fleece blankets

Feeding:
Playtex Drop-in bottles (4 8oz, 2 4 oz)
Extra package Playtex silicone nipples
1 package 4oz and 8oz drop-in refills
4 regular 8oz bottles
Bottle & nipple cleaning brush
2 Thermoses
2 packages Ziploc plastic bowls with lids

1 Diaper bag
2 Snuglis
(Strollers – we will buy there)
Bouncy chair suggested but no room
4 soothers and 2 clips
2 packages Pampers Cruisers (52 size 3)
2 packages diaper wipes
Diaper liners
Antibacterial hand wipes
Diaper disposal bags
Nail clippers (2)
Nasal bulb (2)
Handful Q-tips
12 baby washcloths
Boxes of large and small Ziplocs
Thermometer (2)
Oral syringe
Salinex Nose drops (2)
Polysporin Eye & Ear Drops (2)
Scabies medicine (2 tubes Nix)

small, light noisy rattles
plastic rings to clip things
baby photo album with family pics
Wipe-off tablecloth

One package or tube of:
Infant Motrin
Butt Paste
Vaseline
Stool softener
0.or 1% Hydrocortisone cream
Glycerin supps for children
Inflatable bathtub
Aveeno baby
Lubriderm unscented lotion

Per adult:
1 nice outfit for you
5 tops, bottoms, socks, underwear
2 Pjs
2 pr shoes (give one pair a chance to breathe)
swimsuit
hat, jacket

If you have ever needed an over-the-counter product such as:
Cold & Flu med,Gravol,Immodium, Pepto-Bismol, Tylenol-Advil, Cold FX, or Robaxisol,
then you will want to bring some just in case

Bandaids, Polysporin
Fisherman's Friends
Ombrelle sunscreen
Travel packs of Kleenex
Tampon etc. needs
Shaving needs
Haircare, deodorant, toothbrush

Universal plug
Digital camera, extra battery and memory cards
Power converter
Laptop
$3000 cash (American); $100 in small bills
Credit card (remember to call them)
Sunglasses
Passports, documents: make copies to keep in luggage

Extra suitcase full of (light!) gifts, photos and letters on the way over, and (very light!)memories on the way back.

4 comments:

My little Alexandre "The Great" said...

I love your list!! we just receive my proposal as well Dec 21 for a little boy as well. We are just in the process of doing a list of what to bring as well, so I am really happy to see yours.

By the way the boys are so adorable!! I hope we get to meet them and youwhen we are there!!

Dominique
(from Montreal)

Jules and Danny said...

Hey Samantha,

This list seems pretty complete. Having just reviewed Bev's actually packing before she left last week (her packing with lots of input from other parents recently returned)... I have only one comment. I think you are taking too much clothes for the babies. A couple of outfits and a couple of sleepers would likely suffice. That was echoed by lots of parents when Bev was packing.

What you take may or may not fit... if it doesn't you will need to pick up a couple of outfits there... and you can wash and hang clothes there so you don't have to physically carry so much on the way home when both you and hubby will have a baby in your arms/in a snugli/or whatever! Just a thought...

I am so excited that you are gathering your traveling stuff though...

Jules

Samantha said...

THANK YOU JULES
Because the simple fact is there is no way all of this is going to fit into 3 suitcases, let alone the 2 (plus 1)we are bringing...
So we needs lots and lots of suggestions for things we don't need!

B said...

Okay, here goes...you asked for it...
I packed mix and match outfit wise for Ben...blue and brown...it worked.

I'd do a few short-sleeved onesies and a few long sleeved onesie type shirts each and some cotton pants that match...they can easily sleep in these.

3-5 sweaters...incase someone pukes so you have an extra...I had a knit, a zip hoodie and a fleece with a nylon jacket attachment but I was in the north

sunhat and cotton hat (for evening) each

10 is way too many socks... I took 4 pair roots socks...they never fall off

I bought the greatest bibs ever in VN for 2 bucks each at a very expensive place...wish I had bought even more on baby street for a fraction of the price.

I used my hooded sleepers ALL THE TIME, one fleece and one light cotton weave...great to put the hood up when they are hatless and someone is reminding you to cover the baby's neck (in air conditioning for example)

Let people meeting you at the airport bring warm clothes for the trip to your house

I would bring a cheap table cloth, the fleece backed type, to lay on the floor of the hotel for play time. You can wipe the contact surface down. Streets are pretty dirty and the people in the room before you may not have removed their shoes.

I brought 2 regular receiving blankets and one warmer double thinckness one as well as a fleece for on the airplane. I used all of them all of the time

I had 3 sleepers without hoods, one went over the head and had no feet and he hated it. 2 was NOT enough.

I don't know what bundle bags are...so I'd leave them out.

Cheap evenflow plastic bottles, 3 for 4 bucks worked for me. 3 of them and 1- 4 onz. I brought gerber, Dr. Brown and Evenflow nipples of various flows. He had a preference for specific nipples from the start but as he learned to suck better it changed so I'm glad I had a big collection.

Could not have lived without the thermos and the kettle I took...called a Hotpot...needed a converter to run it. Ben needed his bottles VERY HOT.

Order in food and it will come in a tupperware like container...

Prunes, baby biscuits, rice cereal, formula all easily available in the local supermarket. Don't bother

Does each baby really need their own diaper bag?

I took a half pack of size 3 pampers (30)...then I switched to Huggies Ultra, 90000 dong for 20, reasonable diaper...regular huggies sucked. Buy ultra.

Took 10 large and 10 small zip bags...used them all the time

Never used
thermometer
nasal bulb
q-tips
diaper liners
hand wipes
soothers

He was sick so we went to a western clinic and got the prescriptions we needed...nasal drops, decongestant, antibiotic

Used tempra, take one for each
Needed adult tylenol

used baby washclothes as drool rags all the time

hated my carrier

bought a bath basin and a dish pan
for washing bottles for a buck (total)

used 6 kleenex packs (bought a box for the room at the market)

Took and used butpaste, aveeno cream and wash

Adults
Take your most comfortable 3 bottoms and lots and lots of tops...they drool and puke and snot and it almost always hits your top

sweatshirt...wished I had 2, only took 1

never wore my jacket and I was north

take as many underwear as you can...I was jealous of my travel partner who never had to send hers to laundry because she had enough for every day...

runners, crocks or flip flops for the hotel/pool side, something for the G+R

I took 1 pj and 1 track suit...sometimes it was cold at night and I was happy to have track pants

wish I had brought plastic linking toys...he was always stealing from the girls in the group. Theother toys were not that interesting to him.

Hmmmm....I'll come back later with more opinions...