Saturday, February 21, 2009

Big scare

I am writing this on Monday but posting for Saturday, when it happened. As you can see from Sunday's photos everyone is okay now. But it is hard to think about still.

Saturday afternoon the cleaning staff came in to do our rooms. We were all in nap mode so they were very quiet and very quick. They were so sweet Mom wanted to give them some chocolate, so she rushed after them as they left, and slipped on the just washed floor. I heard "Oh no" and there was Mom on the floor with blood EVERYWHERE. She had hit her head and I thought it was split open. Her arm (yes the one with the cast) was at a funny angle and when she tried to lift it there were what looked like tendons on the floor. I have to admit I panicked. The cleaning staff were there; I kept saying "get ambulance FAST" and "the floor was WET"; I called Loan in a panic and told her my Mom's bones were sticking out.

The ambulance seemed to take forever. Mom didn't lose consciousness but she did wonder if she was going to lose her arm and/or bleed to death; so did I. Thank goodness Woody remained calm and stayed with her as I was useless.

Finally they arrived and things got better fast, at least for those of us who were not actually hurt. They bandaged her arm and ascertained that her head was not cut. She was able to walk to the ambulance and "enjoyed" her first ever ambulance ride, especially when they did the siren. Someone from the hotel came with us to translate, and while we were still in the ambulance the manager called to tell us not to worry, the hotel insurance would take care of everything. Oh, and they also sent up 4 women from housekeeping to help Woody with the babies while we were gone.

The diagnosis is a mild concussion, a chipped elbow bone, and a very deep laceration. The difficulty is that the cast is interfering with the swelling (Mom broke her wrist a month before travel) and she has to keep her arm elevated - and of course she does not want her arm elevated, she wants it full of baby. She had to go back yesterday and today, and has another appointment on Wednesday.

The hotel has been FANTASTIC. They take her back and forth to her appointments in a limo and always have a translator with her. The manager even sent her a special cheesecake as he figured she wouldn't feel like eating.

Loan also was FANTASTIC - just like everyone else we have fallen in love with her - but I was really impressed when she showed up at the hospital with her overnight bag, prepared to stay with Mom so I could get back to the babies.

Mom is admitting to being very embarrassed and very sorry that she can't help so much (yet she is still helping lots!) She is not admitting to being in pain but... I'm writing this because I know everyone who reads it will send love and get better vibes!

6 comments:

Tracey said...

OH My! That must have been quite the ordeal. Glad to hear that your Mom is OK and that the people there area so helpful! I am hoping that the rest of your stay goes smoothly. I am loving your updates on the babies, they are DARLING! And I loved Woodys expression after night 1! LOL
Take care of yourselves!

Tracey

Stefanious said...

Poor Mom!!!! You guys handled it really well. Especially "the floor was wet!!!" Hope it is hurting less each day. xoxoxox

Leslie & Shaune said...

oh my. what an ordeal. i am glad your mother is ok. i know i would panic also!
what your wrote about the hotel has pretty much cemented that we will stay there - the service is so important especially in stressful situations like that!

Loan sounds like an angel. I cannot wait to meet her!

leslie

Mom2J&I said...

Oh.my.god. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. Holy crap.
I am so glad she is ok, I can't even imagine seeing my Mom hurt WHILE in VN after just getting the babies. Wow.
Tell her to take it easy, you are going to need her!

Jules and Danny said...

Sending love to your mom. I am glad to hear that she is alright! It must have been scary to have something like that happen, especially so far from home. I'm also glad to hear the hotel staff was so amazing.
All my "get healthy vibes" are coming your way.
Jules

OliverElektra said...

Trooper?? Check.