Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Your daddy's here

Good Morning!

It's a post from Dad. We ate breakfast in shifts this morning and when I came back, lucky me the kids were sleeping! So a little post for yer reading pleasure. Mostly I thought some notes regarding playtime may be in order. Really, what I find works well is to try get down to their level. If you can imagine 6' 7" me, I lie right on the floor with them. It gets pretty big smiles. I'm not not a big fan of the toys that make loud noises as they can wake each other up, but at this age just about every thing is a toy. (Make sure you put away the garbage...and anything that is not a toy should be out of reach too...) I've heard it said that the boys should eat, sleep & play at the same time, but really it's easier to go with the flow. I mean why would one wake up a baby on purpose to play or eat? Good luck if you do...

Two items we purchased while we were here, (at the Metro) were some strollers. It was basically on Mom's insistence, but for sure they have helped a few times. (I am going to extend the handles when I get the home - they are back breakers for anyone over 6' in height.) And another tip for Dads looking for brownie points, pick out clothes! I have to confess I looked for the ones that make changing their diapers easier, you should have seen some of the contraptions we attempted to stick on them....after lots of crying and fussing.

The local radio station has been very good too. The language is quite soothing, and the music can be pretty cool. It's like an international CBC or something. They really like Anne Murray, and repeat many of her songs during the day. There are little english lessons & french too, but they don't make much sense to us. At 6PM they have headline news in english, and it sounds like we are listening to short wave or something. Then it's a heavy metal metal power hour, (chases away the girls) and at night 9early in thhe morning (my feeding shift) they play really old big band stuff - reminds me of MASH episodes.

Go with the flow, check the diapers & try to keep 'em smiling!
Daddy

Samantha here -
You know, I knew (because I got lots of advice) that it's just not possible to be the perfect parent. I'm still a little surprised at how many things I am doing that are not "by the book",and I work hard not to feel guilty. But there is one thing I am absolutely certain sure about - I couldn't have given my babies a better Daddy if I had made him myself. I knew I would love my boys more and more each day, but I didn't realize that I would love their Daddy more and more each day too.

Love to Oma, Tante Carolyn, Cousin Vincent, et al, and thank you for this beautiful man.

5 comments:

Tracey said...

you guys are true parents!! Go with the flow, and keep them smiling and don't go by the 'book'.... you are doing great! Keep it up, will sure be bringing smiles to their handsome little faces for years to come!

Tracey

OliverElektra said...

Awwww . . . family love.

Edina said...

Exactly, the flow is all there is and no need to go against it!

Keep up the good work for the next 18 years or so, lol :)

Sam - I loved what you said about Woody, brought tears to my eyes because it's so true about the good daddy's.

And I love that Oliver & Elecktra have a blogger account!

Jules and Danny said...

Sounds like things are going really well. That's so nice to hear.

freakydrew said...

Buy a Quinny Stroller for twins when you get back...we love our Quinny for Leah, it literally will go anywhere in any weather! Plus the handles telescope for tall people like yourself!
Toys R Us carries them....walk lots!