Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First checkup

Great news! We just got back from the Family Medical Practice here and the boys are the picture of health. We were a little nervous because we chose not to do any scabies treatment (most families do it the first night for peace of mind), so if they did have it we would have had a lot of washing ahead of us. But the Dr. confirmed they are fine. Also, although their original medicals indicated some infection and bronchitis, all they have now are very small colds, no medicine needed. The Dr. was also impressed at how relaxed Woody and I seem to be; he said he sees many new parents who are very stressed.

We do have one small issue which is driving Woody nuts but is really very funny. Our boys refuse to drink from anything but the gigantic engorged old nipple the orphanage gave us (they gave us 2 but the second one fell apart). We must have tried 10 different nipples already and Woody is off on another shopping quest this afternoon. Luckily they seem content to share the same bottle. I suspect we will have a few hours with hungry babies when this last nipple finally disintegrates...

I got six hours sleep last night (thanks to my wonderful amazing husband) and am finally awake enough to realize how deliriously happy I am. Every day is more wonderful. Those who know me will be amazed to hear that I didn't cry when we met them, and I didn't cry at the ceremony either. It was just such a feeling of "finally" and "here we are". But early this morning we were lying on the floor together when the song "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon started and as I listened to the words and looked at my precious perfect babies I just sobbed with joy.

Close your eyes,
Have no fear,
The monsters gone, he's on the run
and your daddy's here
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful,
Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep,
Say a little prayer,
Every day in every way,
It's getting better and better
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful,
Beautiful boy

Out on the ocean
sailing away,
I can hardly wait,
To see you to come of age
But I guess we'll both,
Just have to be patient

Cause it's a long way to go,
A hard road to hoe,
Yes it's a long way to go,
But in the meantime...

Before you cross the street,
Take my hand,
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful,
Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep,
Say a little prayer,
Every day in every way,
It's getting better and better
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful,
Beautiful boy



(Maxem in warm colours, Vanh in cool colours)

7 comments:

cicero said...

Good Evening! With reference to the "nipple" problem, good luck in finding the ideal device.
Once again, the photos are great and have been added to the ever growing collection -- 110 at last count. Sounds like the new parents are doing just fine. "See" you all in 7 days.

Jules and Danny said...

Hey
I have been awol for a few days but am back to catch up. As for the nipple, try making the hole in one of the ones you've bought bigger and plan to reduce it as you get home and get to know them a bit better... apparently the babies are used to pretty fast flow bottles.
And that song is one of my absolute favourites... I cry when I hear it now. I am glad you two are so comfortable and that you got some sleep.
Jules

OliverElektra said...

Mamabear: Try making the holes on the smaller nipples bigger . . . that sometimes works. Also, try (if you can) boiling one for an extended period of time - that can cause the 'used' and 'distended' look some old ones get . . .

Love Nhao

OliverElektra said...

PS: it really helps to read the posts first . . . lol

D2 said...

Wow... six hours of sleep. It took us something like three months before one of us had six hours of sleep...

Congratulations to the bill of health. I know what a huge relieve that must be for you.

Stefanious said...

I can remember the first time I ever heard that song - I was working at the Hayloft (no longer there) on Rideau St. in Ottawa in the 90s, and I said, What is that song? Then when I found out it was John Lennon and who he wrote it for I was awestruck cuz I am a fan! xox

Heather said...

Congratulations on your two new bundles of joy!!! You are probably on cloud nine right now.

The bottles we have used since we returned home from Vietnam 15 months ago have been a life saver.

http://www.podee.com/

I found them recommended on a twin board when I was trying to figure out how to feed both babies by myself when my Husband returned to work.Mothers of multiples swear by them.It is the best most useful baby product I have ever bought. It frees up your hands so you can hold both babies not their bottles.They are also great in the car and stroller. My babies will not take any other bottles. Hope this helps.